JOB TITLE: CLINICAL ASSISTANT
DEPARTMENT: CLINICAL OPERATIONS
REPORTS TO: Director of Clinical Operations
The Clinical Assistant is responsible for assisting nurses in various duties including tracking of patients, obtaining films, records and reports for scheduled appointments, scheduling patients appointments, and providing other administrative support as needed. The Clinical Assistant will function as an MA providing patient care according to established standards and practices.
- Commitment to perform all job responsibilities in accordance with the philosophy and mission statement ofUSA. Honest, ethical, professional behavior is a condition of employment
- Organizes work assigned by nurses to ensure that it’s handled in a timely, efficient manner with the follow-up completed and documented
- Prepares surgery packets and faxes information to various hospitals
- Contacts patients regarding results, and schedules follow-up visits as needed
- Must have the ability to work in a team oriented environment
- Tracks patients on computer systems and calendars for return visits, assists in scheduling tests, and if needed, calls patients prior to appointments to remind patients of these. If necessary, assists patient in scheduling these and ensures that proper referral is obtained from insurance if required
- Data entry for Order-Facilitator; EMR; Vitera; Access to area hospital medical records.
- Obtains various reports (path, labs, etc.) on patients; after collection of data, faxes and sends reports to other offices as needed. May contact patients with results as directed and schedules follow-up visits as needed. Contacts nurse/physicians with any reports having ‘panic levels’ noted.
- Performs phone triage and appointment scheduling as needed.
- Contacts patients who missed an appointment and reschedules them. If unable to reach by phone, sends written notice. When results are involved, brings this case to the nurses’ attention if unable to reach patient and send certified letter
- Coordinates patient flow to specified provider by: pulling charts, preparing exam rooms, cleaning and stocking rooms, sterilizing instruments involving semi-critical to critical, donning PPE properly, and gathering and recording all information necessary for the patient’s chart prep and preloading.
- Prepare minor surgery room and surgical trays for operating procedures.
- Providing wound care including removing stitches, staples and applying dressings; providing instruction to patient on wound care.
- Assist physician with patient examination or minor procedures.
- Obtain patient history, vital signs and enters in EMR.
- Assists in keeping large volume/variety of medical records and any paper involving patient needs such as HHC orders, FMLA, disability, etc.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that may be faced by a Clinical Assistant throughout their scope of employment. To conduct this position properly, applicants must be able to complete the following list of physical tasks. Reasonable accommodation will be available for those individuals with disabilities, and are not able to complete the following tasks.
- Sitting, standing, walking for brief periods of time
- Bending and reaching
- Light lifting, weights possibly up to 30 pounds
- High school diploma or equivalent education
- Contains a working knowledge of medical terminology
- Previous experience in a medical setting preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication abilities
- Graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant or Nursing Assistant program-Certification required.
The above duties are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of an employee so classified.
University Surgical Associates is an at will employer. Your employment with University Surgical Associates is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or University Surgical Associates with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time