JOB TITLE: RELEASE OF INFORMATION SPECIALIST
DEPARTMENT: HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGEMENT
REPORTS TO: HEALTH INFORMATION MANAGER
The Release of Information Specialist must at all times safeguard and protect the
patient’s rights of privacy by ensuring that only authorized individuals have access to the patient’s medical information and that all release of information are in compliance with the request, authorization, company policy and HIPAA statutes. Additionally, they are required to maintain a professional health care office environment on a day to day basis. This position engages in direct customer service and must perform duties and conduct interpersonal relationships in a manner designed to project a positive image of the department and the practice. Work with all staff members to promote a harmonious work environment.
· Commitment to perform all job responsibilities in accordance with the philosophy and mission statement of USA. Honest, ethical, professional behavior is a condition of employment.
· Interacts with requestors to identify medical records needed for patient care, review, billing or release of information.
· Prioritize release of information requests, retrieves medical records from active and inactive and interdepartmental locations.
· Requires strong critical thinking skills and performs self-quality checks on all work to assure accuracy of the release.
· Handles all requests and inquiries for patient health information whether received via mail, fax, phone or in person. Verifies identity and confirms that the authorization is valid. Ensures the requesting party has a legal right to request a patient’s medical information.
· Through access of the EHR, the ROI Specialist will determine correct distribution of reports.
· Sends Physicians’ reports to care team members via fax, direct message or mail.
· Scans release of information requests into EHR.
· Provides back-up coverage for scanning and merging documents into electronic health record.
· Provides excellent internal and external customer service by being attentive, polite and respectful. Ensures understanding of the customer request and follows through as required.
· Accesses computerized patient record and/or other computer systems for patient information for other requestors of the medical record.
· Performs at established standards of performance as set by the Health Information Manager and makes oneself available for other assignments with the HIM department.
· Assists nursing personnel by securing the patient’s authorization for Family Medical Leave and send all requested information to the requesting party.
· Maintains current knowledge related to applicable statutes, regulations, and standards necessary to perform the job.
· Strong ability to handles multiple priorities with frequent interruptions.
· Performs all other duties as assigned
The physical requirements listed are representative of those that may be faced by a Release of Information Specialist throughout their scope of employment. To conduct this position properly, applicants must be able to complete the following list of physical tasks. Reasonable accommodation will be available for those individuals with disabilities, and are not able to complete the following tasks.
· Sitting for prolonged periods of time
· Light lifting, possibly up to weights of 30 pounds
· Bending and reaching
· Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus as needed
· Associate’s Degree in Health Information Management with credential, RHIT or eligible, required
· Previous experience in health information systems in a hospital/medical office required
· Basic computer operating skills required
· Previous position with high levels of public interaction is helpful
The above duties are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of an employee so classified.
University Surgical Associates is an at will employer. Your employment with University Surgical Associates is for an indefinite period of time and it is subject to termination by you or University Surgical Associates with or without cause, with or without notice, and at any time